CMC Member Activities
Members of Carlisle Mountaineering Club can anticipate a full programme of club events. During spring and summer we have meets more or less every other weekend, with evening climbing meets around North Cumbria and the Lake District on Thursday evenings.
During the the winter months you will find many members hanging around on the various climbing walls to be found in Carlisle, Penrith, Keswick and Kendal.
We also have a few climbing meets away to Wales and Derbyshire, based in huts. In the aftermath of the pandemic, it may be a year before these become a regular thing again.
During the winter we have popular winter climbing and mountaineering meets in the Cairngorms, Glen Coe or Ben Nevis areas.
The club also has an annual dinner the same weekend as the AGM, which has morphed into a Christmas dinner type of event in December.
Up to date information will be found in the meets section. As is the way with outdoor activities, the whole game is weather dependent so meet dates and venues often change at short notice with meet leaders posting information on the Club’s Facebook group. Members are often out informally whenever the weather is good.
Unfortunately the Club and the vast majority of our members are not inclined, equipped or qualified to teach rock climbing. So a basic ability to rock climb is required. As long as you can display a level of competence in belaying and rope work, you can get involved.
If you would like to learn about rock climbing or are not sure of your competence then contact our membership secretary or anyone on the committee & we will advise or put you in touch with qualified instructors. In fact a few members have got their own instructional businesses and are an excellent point of contact to get that basic competence nailed down.
Download Membership Form
Membership Fees 2021
Individual £25.00 (£20.25 of which is paid to the BMC).
Family/Partner £45.00 (Covers two people)
Additional family members £20.00
Students (in full time education) £20.00 (£16.75 of which is paid to the BMC)
Membership Benefits include:
- Club Hut in Newlands Valley. Available for members to book as well as for hire by other climbing clubs.
- Evening climbing meets throughout the year. On the crags whenever it’s dry enough or at the climbing wall in winter or when wet.
- Weekend meets throughout the summer in the Lakes and at venues such as the Peak District, North Wales & Scotland
- Weekend winter meets in Scotland.
- Annual dinner – open to all members.
- Friendly, approachable members with a wide range of ability & experience.
- Discounts in many outdoor shops including Needlesports (10%), Cotswold (15%), Go Outdoors (10%)
- Discounts with local climbing walls including Eden Rock in Carlisle and King Kong Wall in Keswick.
- BMC (club) membership, including 3rd party liability insurance (can be upgraded to full BMC membership).